Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Boy or girl?

No - we have not found out yet. So don't let the headline of this entry mislead you. We have a few more weeks until our ultrasound and as I mentioned in an earlier post, we DEFINITELY plan to find out. It is driving me insane that I don't know yet. I can't believe that they are making me wait 5 months. So rude. I feel like a little kid before Christmas that is just dying to search for where the presents are hidden and peek under the wrapping paper to see what my gifts are. Sadly, I have no personal ultrasound machine (nor could I read one anyway) to help me "peek." And more importantly than finding out whether Blueberry will be a Blueberry or Bluberrette, I want to know that everything is ok in there. The last time I saw Blueberry he/she was a little speck in the photograph, so there were no features, bones, few organs, etc. I can't feel the baby yet (though I guess that should happen fairly soon), so I want to at least see it. Why is the doctor trying to torture me? Aren't doctors supposed to serve and protect, love, honor and cherish or live by the Girl Scout law? Just let me see my kid!!!

Deep breath...only a few more weeks.

Even though I have to wait (ugh) to find out the sex of the baby, it has been really fun trying to guess. I have been looking at all sorts of old wives tales and trying to predict the gender. I know people say you shouldn't believe them, but they had to come from somewhere, right? Here are a few examples of some:

It's a boy if:
  • You didn't experience morning sickness in early pregnancy
  • Your baby's heart rate is less than 140 beats per minute
  • You are carrying the extra weight out front
  • Your belly looks like a basketball
  • You are carrying low
  • You are craving salty or sour foods
  • You are craving protein -- meats and cheese
  • Your feet are colder than they were before pregnancy
  • The hair on your legs has grown faster during pregnancy
  • Pregnancy has you looking better than ever
  • Your urine is bright yellow in color
  • You hang your wedding ring over your belly and it moves in circles
  • You are having headaches
  • You add your age at the time of conception and the number for the month you conceived and the sum is an even number
It's a girl if:
  • You had morning sickness early in pregnancy
  • Your baby's heart rate is at least 140 beats per minute
  • You are carrying the weight in your hips and rear
  • Your hair develops red highlights
  • You are carrying high
  • Your belly looks like a watermelon
  • You are craving sweets
  • You are craving fruit
  • You crave orange juice
  • You don't look quite as good as normal during pregnancy
  • You are moodier than usual during pregnancy
  • Your face breaks out more than usual
  • You refuse to eat the heel of a loaf of bread
  • Your breasts have really blossomed!
  • Your urine is a dull yellow color
  • You add your age at the time of conception and the number for the month you conceived and the sum is an odd number
For me, the bulk of the "tales" indicate that I am having a boy. But according to some online tests, it is only a 53% chance. Like I said, we will know one way or the other in a few more weeks. Personally, I feel like Blueberry is a boy. I have been wrong before. It's rare, but it has happened. Truly, I don't care. I really just want him/her to be healthy.

No comments:

What is Blueberry up to?